Subject: Re: [Boost-users] linking and including in visual studio
From: Michael Powell (mwpowellhtx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-28 14:30:43

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 2:26 PM, David Medine <dmedine_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> What VS does have (and GCC does not) is auto-linking, which merely allows
>> you to avoid having to explicitly specify the names of the Boost libraries
>> to link with. But this is just the names, not the paths.
>>
>> There are many places that library paths can hide, however; they can
>> include:
>> * the project settings
>> * property sheets imported by the project
>> * the LIBPATH environment variable
>> * Tools -> Options -> Projects and Solutions -> VC++ Directories (on
>> older versions of VS) or the Microsoft.Win32.Cpp.user.props sheet (on
>> newer
>> versions of VS)
>> All I know is where the settings have been moved to, ostensibly, and
>> as they make sense. At some level, they should land in the project
>> settings, not environment settings, not even VS settings.
>>
> Hmm, this goes against my hypothesis that BOOST_ROOT and Windows have a
> special relationship.
>>
>> Whatever project management plumbing you're using, look forward to
>> seeing your contributions.
>>

> I will let you know what I am able to figure out. At this point I think it
> is worth the time to start from scratch and see where things land. I don't
> know when I will be able to find the time to do it, though.

As I and others have repeated ad nauseam, as long as your directories
and such are correctly specified to the project settings, as far as I
know, it just works.

Mind you, it's been a little while since I've linked anything Boost
related, but I don't see why that would have changed in recent
months/years.