Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization] Runtime overhead of serialization archives
From: Bjorn Reese (breese_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-09-25 08:02:29

On 09/22/2016 06:25 AM, Georg Gast wrote:

> Could you please elaborate what is different in your archive?

The Boost.Serialization archives use iostreams as a generic mechanism
for inputting and outputting data. This comes with the added
performance cost as you have discovered.

My output archives use a buffer interface class along with buffer
traits to determine how to write data to a given container. These
buffer traits are described at:

    http://breese.github.io/trial/protocol/trial_protocol/buffer.html

There are specializations for the most common standard container types,
so you can pass a std::string (or std::vector or std::ostream) directly
in the constructor.

My input archives simply take a string view as input. I have not had
the need for anything else.