Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost graph pruning vertices (nodes)
From: Daniel Hofmann (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-10-13 06:58:40

On 10/12/2016 11:55 PM, Brian Davis wrote:
> In reading
>
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_62_0/libs/graph/doc/adjacency_list.html
>
> regarding Iterator and Descriptor Stability/Invalidation it leaves the
> impression that when using vecS there is no real good way to remove nodes.
>
> as example:
>
> typedef adjacency_list<listS, vecS> Graph; // VertexList=vecS
>
> all cases are wrong
>
> and
>
> typedef adjacency_list<listS, listS> Graph; // VertexList=listS
>
> where only one case is correct which leave the programmer walking the
> mine field. Of course same can be said for stl.
> My goal to remove graph vertices based on the value of the connected
> components. I currently have a method which uses connected components
> to generate a connected components list. I then generate a histogram of
> the connected components values thus giving me how many vertices are
> connected and what the connection property value is... assuming I
> understand connected components however I have thought I understood
> portions of boost only to find through some brain warp and folding my
> thought process back on itself like an origami master that I came to
> understand how certain parts work.

Yes, you have to be careful wrt. iterator invalidation using different
selectors. What I would do instead is the following:

Ditch the adjacency_list type completely. It doesn't scale well at all
for any graphs of sizes larger than what's in the examples. You'll see
this especially in memory usage since a lot of nested containers will be
created resulting in (over-) allocation on multiple levels.

Use the static (!) graph type compressed_sparse_row_graph instead:
iteration invalidation problems gone and memory efficient.

For filtering either use a filtered_graph on top of that, but keep in
mind the type then will be filtered_graph<G> and not G. If you want to
filter your graph G and get a type G back, you have to create a second
static graph doing the filtering yourself (sounds harder than it is, I
often prefer this approach).

Here is a small self-contained working example for small components:

https://gist.github.com/daniel-j-h/5010fc704bdb24a68d7f9cd50a3d441a

You could further abstract the component search and histogram building
into a function taking any graph type and writing color values into a
ColorMap property map. This would be the idiomatic way following
Boost.Graph's design.

Hint: check how edmonds_karp writes boost::black_color or
boost::white_color for all vertices into a color property map depending
on left side or right side of the cut. You probably want to do the same.

Cheers,
Daniel J H