Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [build] Unexpected static libraries in 1.63
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-14 03:40:55

On 14/03/2017 16:01, Emil Dotchevski via Boost-users wrote:
> In the develop branch I've deleted the non-intrusive exception_ptr
> support form Boost Exception and the build step it required. This
> feature was experimental, always disabled by default, only worked on
> some MSVC versions and probably wasn't used by anyone.

Well, that wasn't one of the libraries I was really referring to (I
don't mind static-only libraries, I just don't like it generating both
static and dynamic for the same library when only one or the other was
requested).

> That said, if anyone reading this has #define
> BOOST_ENABLE_NON_INTRUSIVE_EXCEPTION_PTR in his build system please
> speak up. :)

While I wasn't aware of this particular feature (and wasn't using it
myself) and I haven't looked at the implementation, the description
above sounds somewhat similar to some code I've been using for many
years and across many VS versions to extract stack traces from
undecorated exceptions (which is particularly handy when running
anything outside a debugger).

It was based on code that can be found here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100528113731/http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/vcppexceptmodel/page4.asp

This has worked fine AFAIK on any VS version I've thrown it at (albeit
x86 only, though I haven't investigated whether it was the stack-trace
part or the exception-handling part that isn't compatible with x64).
Perhaps it might be worthwhile retaining with some changes based on that
code? FWIW, it should be possible to implement this header-only if that
was the issue -- that's what I was doing.

This is a bit off-topic, though. :)