Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Regex] Has build location changed between 1.34.1 and 1.64.0 ?
From: Kerry, Richard (richard.kerry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-05-23 10:59:35

>It's unsurprising that a different command line produces different output.

Given that nearly ten years have passed between 1.34.1 (July 2007) and 1.64.0 (April 2017), and the command has changed from bjam to b2, I had no particular reason to assume that the parameters should be the same.

>Your original 1.34 command line is still the correct one. (Although you'd probably use b2 rather than bjam.
OK, thank you.
Though it doesn't appear to need "stage" to put its output in "stage\lib".
And it didn't build all variants, which I think the older one did. Not that I need all, just the static one, I'm just noting that it's different.

>The options are the same.)
I didn't know that. It's a different command (and I haven't noticed anything that states that it is essentially the same), so I looked at its options [1] and it doesn't show "--with-xxx", just the ability to build a specific target, so I did that.
And I then added "link=static" to get the static one built, since the default was to build just the dll variant.

>I'm curious which "current instructions" you're referring to here.
Starting with "Getting Started" [2] and "Getting Started on Windows" [3] led me to "Simplified Build From Source", which just says "bootstrap" followed by "b2". I knew I didn't want to build everything (I remember from last time that it takes ages, and I don't need anything else) so I followed the link to the Boost.Build Documentation [1] to find how to specify just regex. As noted above that page doesn't mention "--with-", so the obvious option was just to list "regex", with the result as previously noted.

What I had not done at that time was to look at regex's own page on "Building and Installing the Library" [4]. On looking there just now I find that it says to use bjam, but then goes on to link to the "Getting started guide" [2]. Hence still no mention of "--with-", or even b2.

Regards,
Richard.

[1] http://www.boost.org/build/doc/html/bbv2/overview/invocation.html
[2]http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_64_0/more/getting_started/index.html
[3]http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_64_0/more/getting_started/windows.html
[4]http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_64_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/install.html

Richard Kerry
BNCS Engineer, SI SOL Telco & Media Vertical Practice
T: +44 (0)20 3618 2669
M: +44 (0)7812 325518
4 Triton Square, Regent’s Place, London NW1 3HG
richard.kerry_at_[hidden]

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Atos group liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.