Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Regex] Has build location changed between 1.34.1 and 1.64.0 ?
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-05-23 13:40:22

AMDG

On 05/23/2017 04:59 AM, Kerry, Richard via Boost-users wrote:

>> It's unsurprising that a different command line produces different output.
>
> Given that nearly ten years have passed between 1.34.1 (July 2007) and 1.64.0 (April 2017), and the command has changed from bjam to b2, I had no particular reason to assume that the parameters should be the same.
>
>> Your original 1.34 command line is still the correct one. (Although you'd probably use b2 rather than bjam.
> OK, thank you.
> Though it doesn't appear to need "stage" to put its output in "stage\lib".
> And it didn't build all variants, which I think the older one did. Not that I need all, just the static one, I'm just noting that it's different.

Right. The defaults have been changed somewhat.

>> The options are the same.)
> I didn't know that. It's a different command (and I haven't noticed anything that states that it is essentially the same), so I looked at its options [1] and it doesn't show "--with-xxx", just the ability to build a specific target, so I did that.
> And I then added "link=static" to get the static one built, since the default was to build just the dll variant.
>
>> I'm curious which "current instructions" you're referring to here.
> Starting with "Getting Started" [2] and "Getting Started on Windows" [3] led me to "Simplified Build From Source", which just says "bootstrap" followed by "b2". I knew I didn't want to build everything (I remember from last time that it takes ages, and I don't need anything else) so I followed the link to the Boost.Build Documentation [1] to find how to specify just regex. As noted above that page doesn't mention "--with-", so the obvious option was just to list "regex", with the result as previously noted.

The --with-xxx option is listed farther down
in the Getting Started Guide.
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_64_0/more/getting_started/windows.html#invoke-b2

It isn't listed in the Boost.Build documentation because
it's project specific.

> What I had not done at that time was to look at regex's own page on "Building and Installing the Library" [4]. On looking there just now I find that it says to use bjam, but then goes on to link to the "Getting started guide" [2]. Hence still no mention of "--with-", or even b2.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe