Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Help needed in learning to use Boost.Asio
From: Osman Zakir (osmanzakir90_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-24 13:04:39

Boost.Beast is a library that only provides low-level support for HTTP? But what does that mean, exactly? What will users not be able to do with it, and is it good to be used for creating a HTTP server and client that can handle at "get" and "post" requests? I want to build a currency conversion app that takes rates from the web in real time, so I need a server and client that can handle at least that if nothing else. Though I may need a client for other, more advanced things later on as well.

It's an interesting name, though. Is there any special reason behind the name? Just wondering.

By the way, are there any plans on creating a good Networking library, one that doesn't provide just low-level HTTP support, for putting up for acceptance in the Boost libraries? It'd be good if something like that were to be included in Boost since there would then be a chance for it to be standardized. We also need a good library among the standard libraries that would help with web development in general, to make C++ a better choice for web development so that programmers wouldn't need to abandon it completely in favor of Python or other such higher-level. Keeping Python or other such languages (for the back-end, I mean - for the front-end, there's HTML, CSS and JavaScript) in the toolbox is of course still good, I think, but I want to have a good reason to not completely abandon C++, either.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?