Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Is it safe to download boost_1_67_0-msvc-14.1-64.exe?
From: Tom Kent (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-06-21 01:42:46

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 2:25 PM, Nicholas Devenish via Boost-users <
boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I just ran into this myself. Is there a specific reason that only the
> all-versions boost binary is distributed as an .7z and not the
> individual packages?
>
> If it's for beginners ease-of-use, then I'd expect it the other way
> around - because somebody would know the internal version number of
> visual studio but not how to decompress a 7z?
>
> Nick

The reason for the installers is mostly historical...it seemed easier for
users to run an installer than to unzip stuff. Not sure if this still holds
true, I'd be curious what the user community thinks about this.

The all-versions .7z was added later, because of its size it was somewhat
impractical to get into an installer, so it was distributed as a compressed
archive.

Tom