Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Looking for a mechanism (boost::asio
From: tim_at_[hidden]
Date: 2018-09-14 21:21:50

OK,

I’ve just read the preamble for the ASIO library (Chapter 32) and it seems that this library, whilst extremely useful, does exactly the opposite of what I’m trying to achieve, as it allows main code execution to continue whilst waiting for a response from an external device.

I need my main code to pause until I receive a response from the hardware. I don’t want to use a timer, as this would be potentially unreliable - I can never know how long a pause would be required and there would be the danger of having the code hanging around wasting time if the timer value is too generous.

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess