Subject: Re: [Boost-users] signals2
From: tim_at_[hidden]
Date: 2018-10-04 14:31:38

Hi,

I've raised my issue here before, but failed to express it with sufficient
clarity. I'm writing an editor for a MIDI device, so have a c++ class that
has members for each parameter in the device. In my constructor I cause MIDI
messages to be generated that query the hardware to get its current
parameter values, so you can imagine a function like:

Void QueryParameter( unsigned int nParameterNumber);

The only means of receiving values back from the hardware is via a callback
implemented by the MIDI library I'm using and the manufacturer tells me that
I should do as follows:

QueryParameter(1);
// Wait for the callback to deliver a value for parameter 1
QueryParameter(2);
// Wait again

Failing to wait causes loss of data due to buffer overruns.

I was wondering if I could use slots and signals to achieve this behaviour,
with my existing callback filling slots and QueryParameter() being modified
to wait for the combiner to be triggered.

Is my understanding anything near sane?

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess