Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost intrusive list volatile hook
From: Stian Zeljko Vrba (vrba_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-11-26 06:56:08

Interrupts are like threads, except worse because you have also reentrancy issues (e.g., can IRQ A happen while the handler for IRQ A is still running, possibly outside of IRQ context). Volatile is not sufficient for several reasons, not the least because insertion/removal into a linked list is not an atomic operation. As I see it you have two choices:

  1. Introduce fine-grained locking of list nodes by customizing boost.intrusive (you have to be careful because it’s easy to end up in a deadlock due to reentrancy issues – unless you have some constraints, like IRQ levels, that can prevent this.)
  2. Use a lock-free list

You should read about how operating systems (Windows, Linux) tackle these issues.