Subject: Re: [Boost-users] I ran b2 with the -d+2 command and redirected the output to a file
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-01-06 13:06:33

From: Boost-users [mailto:boost-users-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of degski via Boost-users
Sent: 06 January 2019 08:01
To: boost-users_at_[hidden]
Cc: degski

The output from b2 is in the boost-build.log file. Note the fact that it's saying that "/permissive-" is an extra argument. I was trying to turn on MSVC's standards-conformance mode. How do I do this when building Boost using MSVC without getting this error?

b2 doesn't like the dash [-] at the end of permissive [it assumes it's the begin of another flag]. I'm just making this up here, but try to double-quote it. ""/permissive-"", maybe that works, I don't know. If not, you should write to the developer-list: boost_at_[hidden], as in that case, this needs a fix in the b2-code [as it seems you do it right], or maybe one of the resident gurus knows another way to get that to pass.

degski

--
“If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein

I assume you are reading

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/reference/permissive-standards-conformance?view=vs-2017

I too think that you will need to enclose in quotes to stop b2 assuming that the option is complete.

But for now I would stick at selecting a C++ version.   <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/reference/std-specify-language-standard-version?view=vs-2017> /std:c++14  perhaps, but 17 or latest if you are allowed.

You are in uncharted territory with /permissive-  option with Boost?

But it is clearly a buglet and should be fixable by the developer, so report it.

Paul