Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost Log without ASIO or OpenSSL
From: james (dirtydroog_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-03-11 07:51:10

On Sunday, March 10, 2019, Richard Hodges <hodges.r_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 15:40, james <dirtydroog_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>> On Sunday, March 10, 2019, Richard Hodges via Boost-users <
>> boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> AFAIR boost.log does not depend on boost.asio at all.
>>>

>> It appears it does:
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39948997/use-of-
>> boost-log-and-boost-asio-causes-a-crash
>>

> With respect, the linked question seems to be about a crash when combining
> boost.log and boost.asio with each from different versions of boost . This
> is unsurprising since both libraries will depend on boost.core.
>
> I am very sure that boost.log has no direct dependency on boost.asio. I
> use these libraries a lot.

If you followed the links to
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35225234/linking-libboost-log-so-makes-boostasioio-servicerun-exit-immediately/35241050#35241050,
there is

"Boost.Log does indeed use Boost.ASIO to implement some of its features
(network-based syslog sink, in particular). Boost.ASIO marks its symbols as
externally visible, so they are exported from Boost.Log shared object."

Note that the crashing code does not use network based syslog. Boost.log
may not intend to always have a dependency on boost.asio, but it appears it
does.