From: Raffi Enficiaud (raffi.enficiaud_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-07-27 10:12:40

On 12.07.19 02:50, John Foster via Boost-users wrote:
> I am using boost test within a home-grown GUI, and want to access test
> results (e.g. the failure message and location when a test fails)
>
> The unit_test::test_observer class provides the virtual method:
>
> void assertion_result(boost::unit_test::assertion_result)
>
> However, unit_test::assertion_result is just an enum indicating success
> or failure. From there, I cannot see how to access further information
> about the test result.
>
> The framework also provides the class test_tools::assertion_result,
> which encapsulates an error message, but this only appears to be used
> for evaluating pre-conditions. (I would have expected this type to be
> the argument to unit_test::test_observer::assertion_result).
>
> The log output classes appear to provide more information on test
> results. These are implemented as streams, which makes it non-trivial to
> extract test result data.
>
> Does anyone know how I can access the information on test results -
> success/failure, the test code, the location, etc?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

There is the class "results_collector" that is a singleton collecting
the status for each test unit, but this does not collect for the messages.

The assertion_result that you are mentioning is not only used for
evaluating the pre-conditions. It is also used in the file
"boost/test/impl/test_tools.ipp" for the "format_report" (from
"report_assertion").

The easiest would be to implement your own log formatter (see base
"unit_test_log_formatter"). This is how it is done for the junit
formatter for instance, which is quite complicated. A simplified version
is the HRF/plain logger.
The framework let you declare your own logger through the
unit_test_log::add_formatter, and if you want attach a stream to each
logger.

The stream that you are mentioning is because the logger itself does not
own the stream on which it is writing the logs to, as I can eg. redirect
the XML logs to a file or stderr from the command line. However in your
case, you may ignore this stream and write on the location you want.

The functions unit_test_log_formatter::log_entry_* should give you
enough granularity.

Let me know if this works for you,
Raffi