Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] Reviewing GGL against Boost requirements
From: Bruno Lalande (bruno.lalande)
Date: 2009-04-30 09:18:36

Hi Barend,

> The CamelCase template parameters are fine for me.
> Indentation makes it (my opinion) a bit less readable but is OK for me, I'll
> get used to it.

About this: I think the most disturbing source of unreadability once
namespaces de-indented comes from namespaces such as "impl" that tend
to pollute the files. In this case maybe we could isolate them in a
"impl" directory when it's possible. If find my sources more readable
when I do that with the "detail" namespaces. Don't know if it helps
for the code you're reshaping...

> What I really find hard is the 80 characters. Even if namespaces are not
> indented.
> I tried to adapt and nearly all lines get broken in the most weirdest
> places, and/or spread over four lines. I just checked the Boost libraries
> and all the libraries I checked (mpl, lambda, proto, variant, spirit) do NOT
> follow it.

Indeed some sources don't follow the rule, but much efforts are made
to follow it if you look carefully. I think it can be broken but the
writer has to keep this limit in mind in order to avoid running over
it too much.

The only place where I personally completely forget this rule is for
test files. Such files usually contain very long literals, ugly
expressions, and other things that make them impossible to shape
correctly anyway...

> So I suggest we'll be not too strict here. We're living in 2009, 80
> characters per line should be really over and done now.

I work on a daily basis on native terminals, so 80 characters. The
machines we ship to our customers run on recent systems but just don't
need any advanced interfacing stuff. Of course when it's possible I
connect in SSH from my own computer to have a better view.

I'm OK to not be too strict about that, but let's at least stick to a
100-character rule.

Regards
Bruno

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net