Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] space partitioning
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz)
Date: 2010-09-10 17:44:11

On 17/08/10 18:04, Barend Gehrels wrote:
>> I'd like to implement kd-tree, quadtree/octree/... and regular grid
>> because these are data structures I've been playing with. Is it ok? Or
>> maby should we design one spacial index?
>
> For your information, Federico (the student who built the indexes in
> 2008) did implement a quadtree implementation as well.

I think it is a good idea to take a look at Frederico's work and make
use of it. It would be pity to waste his work.

> It is not yet in
> the extension folder, because I didn't rework the
> conventions/namings/etc, but I can provide it of course. Yes it is good
> to add the things that are available. I just forgot after a while.

By the way, Adam, I'd suggest you to take a look at

http://trac.osgeo.org/ggl/wiki/Developer/Guidelines

(please, use spaces, not tabs :-))

> I think it would be good if there is one library "interface" (Concept)
> with some different implementations. However, the r-tree implementation
> which is currently there does not follow this.

Barend, I thoroughly agree with you here.

>> Btw, do you plan to have some generic linear algebra in the library?
>
> There is some which might be given that name, but note that there is (at
> least one) another library being developed within Boost. That is a very
> promising one and I hope it is reviewed soon.
>
> http://www.revergestudios.com/boost-la/
>
> As soon as that is sure, we might use that library for our vector/matrix
> calculations (also instead of the uBlas we're currently using).

Yes, the original plan was to keep using uBlas.
Once the Boost.LA is approved, we can switch.

Best regards,

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net