Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] boost geometry rtree
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz)
Date: 2011-07-16 02:33:00

Adam Wulkiewicz wrote:
>> OK, I will look/ask for this in more detail. If anyone on this list know
>> the very right term, it is welcome. So the question is:
>> "content" means: length-in-1-D, area-in-2-D, volume-in-3-D
>> "XXX" means: perimeter-in-2-D, area-in-3-D
>> where "XXX" might be margin. The term "content" is quite difficult to
>> Google, by the way.
> Other possibility is to use straightforward hypervolume and
> hypersurface. They're both at MathWorld's pages I've mentioned and to be
> honest I've found pages googling these terms. Other ideas?

Since mathematical names like hypervolume, hypersurface and hyperarea
may be confusing and there isn't probably any other name describing it
we may just make something up. Ideas:

- some word corresponding to 'content' - wrapping, packing, packaging etc.

- border, border_zone, XXX_zone

- mantle (I like this, and then content may be replaced by core but this
is a lot more confusing)

- coat, jacket

Btw I like the 'margin' term, in the case of 2d it associates to the
part of the area around the object, not the perimeter but it fits more
or less.


Geometry list run by mateusz at