Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] Re: Help needed with Intersection operation
From: Barend Gehrels (barend)
Date: 2011-08-31 03:07:49

On 30-8-2011 18:47, Simonson, Lucanus J wrote:
> Christoph,
> As it happens the Boost.Polygon library provide polygon intersection
> operations that use 32 bit long instead of double and are 100%
> numerically robust. The library uses snap rounding and bounds the
> maximum error to 1 integer unit square (you can move sqrt(2) distance
> diagonally at maximum due to integer snapping error). To get high
> precision you can scale your data. You might consider giving it a try.
> Regards,
> Luke

Hi Christoph,

If integer is an option, I don't exactly understand why ttmath is not.
Anyway, if you want to use integers, Boost.Polygon, as Luke suggests, is
a good alternative and tested extensively with integer coordinates.

Besides that, I looked further to the problem and in the end it is (of
course) very simple and fixed, at least temporary helped (I want to work
further on it but don't know if I've the time coming month). It was a
robustness issue and also influenced the testcase of Enrico and that if
Brandon (submitted long ago). I should have been more defensive at that
point.

So thanks for the report, this again helped to make the library better,
and it is possible that you encounter more problems, if so the reports
are welcome.

Regards, Barend