Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] Box - Geometry intersection
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-10 14:06:43

Hi Adam,

On 9-12-2012 15:07, Adam Wulkiewicz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that the intersection of a Box with other geometries e.g.
> a Ring or a Polygon is not implemented. From my understanding, it
> should be simple (at least for Rings and Polygons):
> 1. a conversion from Box to a Geometry,
> 2. call of intersects/intersection for two Geometries.
>
> This would allow the user to pass other than Box Geometry to a rtree
> query. We could e.g. find all Boxes intersecting a Ring or POIs within
> a Polygon. This could be faster than the common way of doing it, where
> someone must first perform a query for Polygon's envelope and then
> test all resulting values again.

Yes, "intersects" is probably not implemented and is easy.
"intersection" is implemented. It is implemented without conversions,
and that can also be done for intersects.

Agree that it is important for spatial indexes. I will work on it and
try to get it in 1.53, which deadline for new functionality is next
Monday, so I'm positive to get it in.

Thanks, Barend

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net