Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] Problem with simplify
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-03 11:30:51

Hi dreadlox,

dreadlox wrote On 7-10-2013 16:00:
> Hello,
> Until a few weeks I was using simplify from 1.47 with the default strategy
> (Douglas Peucker) on a linestring.
> Then I switched to 1.53 and I see major changes in the outcome of simplify.
> In a specific example with 1.47 I used a linestring with an initial size of
> 100000 points. When I use simplify on this linestring
> I get a reduced linestring with a length of about 6000 points. With 1.53 and
> the same example I get a reduced linestring length of about 99000 points. I
> checked the release notes but I cannot find any changes made to simplify.
> Did anybody else notice such a problem ?

It is a fix, done already in version 1.48. It is actually described in
the release notes. The ticket where the fix is based on is:

I just checked it and behaviour is OK, indeed there is a big difference.
In my case I get less points now, but that depends on your coordinates.
After version 1.48, behaviour is not changed.

Regards, Barend

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net