Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] R-tree vs octomap
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-23 16:47:19

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Hundt wrote:
> I was hoping to find out a bit about the similarities and differences
> in capability between R-tree and an octomap, which is a bit like a
> volumetric or voxel base octree.
>
> Octomap:
> https://octomap.github.io/
>
> Does anyone have thoughts on the use cases and overlapping
> advantages/disadvantages of an R-tree and octomap?

AFAIU it's an octree. The difference between an octree and rtree is that
the first one partions space and stores the objects occupying some space
in a node, and the second one gathers some close objects together and
encloses them in nodes.

I think that from a user-point of view all space-indexes could allow
doing the same things, not only those two.

Since octomap is used in robotics to store measurements from various 3D
point-sample-based sensors it probably only allows to store Points. But
since it's specialized, it may be somehow optimized to work well with
some of the algorithms used in robotics/SLAM like the Iterative Closest
Point algorithm which AFAIK is used in 3D SLAM.

Did you check it out? E.g. did you do some benchmarking?

Regards,
Adam

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net