Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] Support for geographic coordinate system
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-06 18:49:50

Hi Mark,

Mark Millman wrote:
> While it's fair to be concerned about interdependence between projects
> there is the well supported Geospatial Data Abstraction Library (GDAL)
> and specifically the OGRSpatialReference class --
> http://www.gdal.org/classOGRSpatialReference.html
>
> These are well established projects widely used within the Open Source
> Geospatial developer community, written in C++ (and some C).

Thanks for the link! Definietly we should some day support various SRSs
and make them available out of the box for the user. Though I think it's
not necessary to support various SRSs on a strategy level. Strategies
are rather low level functionality. When they're used we already know
the coordinate system and a reference model (cartesian plane/space,
sphere, spheroid/ellipsoid or maybe some other in the future). The only
thing we need is the parameters. AFAIU SRSs, projections, EPSG codes,
etc. should be somewhere on a higher level.

Regards,
Adam

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net