Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] Support for geographic coordinate system
From: Millman, Mark (mark.millman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-06 19:33:41

I agree completely: Boost.Geometry is not the place to implement SRS per
se, But, if the design of CS functionality anticipates an interface it
may, in the long run, attract more interest among the geo-spatial community
in the Boost.Geometry packages; which would be a very good thing. I use
both Boost and GDAL and anything that makes it easier to integrate the two
is good news to me.

Mark

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Adam Wulkiewicz <adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Mark Millman wrote:
>
>> While it's fair to be concerned about interdependence between projects
>> there is the well supported Geospatial Data Abstraction Library (GDAL) and
>> specifically the OGRSpatialReference class -- http://www.gdal.org/
>> classOGRSpatialReference.html
>>
>> These are well established projects widely used within the Open Source
>> Geospatial developer community, written in C++ (and some C).
>>

> Thanks for the link! Definietly we should some day support various SRSs
> and make them available out of the box for the user. Though I think it's
> not necessary to support various SRSs on a strategy level. Strategies are
> rather low level functionality. When they're used we already know the
> coordinate system and a reference model (cartesian plane/space, sphere,
> spheroid/ellipsoid or maybe some other in the future). The only thing we
> need is the parameters. AFAIU SRSs, projections, EPSG codes, etc. should be
> somewhere on a higher level.
>

> Regards,
> Adam

Mark Millman | Mizar, LLC
mark.millman_at_[hidden] | www.mizar.com
(360) 220-3504
9908 Alegria Dr | Las Vegas, NV 89144
 The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is
intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above, and may be
legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please return
it to the sender immediately and delete the original message and any copy
of it from your computer system. If you have any questions concerning this
message, please contact the sender.

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net