Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] Support for geographic coordinate system
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-25 18:16:20

Hi,

Barend Gehrels wrote:
> Adam Wulkiewicz wrote On 23-11-2014 13:54:
>> Barend Gehrels wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> I'm curious about this.
>>
>> I've made some quick test where I compared the result of spherical
>> side formula and a side found by comparison of azimuths calculated
>> using Vincenty's formula. The method comparing azimuths is very
>> simple and probably not good enough to be released nevertheless the
>> error is too small to be seen in this case. The difference between
>> spherical and geographical geodesic seems to be a lot greater.
>
> Thanks! But...
> What is the conclusion?
> - SSF can only be used for spherical and not for geographic (all
> non-spheres)?

It can be used but will give wrong results for spheroids. SSF gives the
same results as Vincenty for sphere/flattening=0.

> - the method comparing azimuths (you mentioned is probably not good
> enough) is not sufficient?

It's because the further the Point the calculation becomes less
accurate. A "real" cross-track distance should probably be calculated
and compared with EPS (if needed), similar to side_by_cross_track (or
side_by_azimuth). However even there the distance nor radius isn't taken
into account and without it we can't calculate a value of XTD. But maybe
it's sufficient to do it this way... At least for doubles, I'm guessing
that for floats it'd be different.

> I cannot completely read that from your story, but the
> color-descriptions indicate the Vincenty azimuth comparisons are OK?
> It looks good indeed.

Most importantly they give different results. The difference is marked
with bright colors. Some users may be ok with spherical calculations
some may not.

>> It's also possible that I made something wrong. In that case don't
>> hesitate to point it out :)
>
> bgd::vincenty_inverse<double> vi2(lon_s1 * bg::math::d2r, lon_s1 *
> bg::math::d2r,
> the second lon should be lat. Makes no difference for this test
> because both are 51, but for other tests it should be changed.
>
> you skip collinear cases?

Do you mean, when a point is on a segment? The epsilon is so small that
all test points are missing the segment (at least for double).

Btw, in spherical_side_formula EPS isn't used in the final result
calculation:

returndist>zero?1

      : dist < zero ? -1

      : 0;

AFAIU dist should be compared with 0 using math::equals(). Do you agree?
Or is there a reason why it's implemented like this?

>> Here is the code and the results:
>> https://github.com/awulkiew/test-geoside
>
> Can you give a coordinate-pair where the deviation is large (probably
> easy to read from the graph)?

For the Earth the width of the erroreous part around lon=11.3, lat=17.3
is more or less 1.7 km but this is for this very long segment (-51 -51,
51 51). For a 1 deg segment (11 17, 12 18) (153km long) the width of the
erroreous fragment is around 0.6m. So the difference seems to be
relativaly small. I didn't check it for coordinates closer to poles.

Regards,
Adam

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net