Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] Some wild rtree ideas
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-25 19:45:07

Hi Henry,

Henry Roeland wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have put a question on stackoverflow
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27040161/boostgeometry-rtree-and-paging-lazy-load/27072352#27072352
> Concerning boost geometry rtree and loading pages when needed. The
> answer is that iT is not supported yet.
> http://stackoverflow.com/users/2574249/adam-wulkiewicz pointed me to
> this mailing list for help and ideas.
> So hier I am.

Sorry that I didn't answer earlier. It's great that you joined us :)

> Why page loading?
> Some maps are to big to index as a whole and would-be beter to load
> parts only when needed.

Of course, as mentioned in the other thread (Crash in rtree after
growing shared memory, VS2012 x64, Boost 1.55) the rtree should be able
to store data in a persistent storage one way or another. One of the
main purposes of this data structure is to allow storing data in a
persistent way.

> Other ideas:
>
> In combination with boost interproc maybe support for compressed
> mapped files? lz4 is quick enough when reading.
>
> Custom page load mechanism that supports:
> - retrieving data from different data sources ( database, zeromq,.... )
> - dependcy checker to unload a page ( file, db query, time,....)
>
> I realy have no idea if above suggestions are possible.

Everything is possible :)

Yes, a designed solution should be as generic/universal as possible and
allow usage of various storage options.

I have some ideas which I'll send tomorrow since I don't have free time
right now. I also saw your other email, which seems to be a better place
for more detailed answer. I'm sure we'll figure something out.

Regards,
Adam

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net