Boost logo

Proto :

Subject: Re: [proto] Other methods for embedding DSL in C++
From: Manjunath Kudlur (keveman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-26 15:36:22

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 12:27 PM, joel falcou <joel.falcou_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> These methods are aroudn since the Sh, the originator of RapidMind. They
> build ASt at runtime and generate code that get JIT'ed.
> Paul Kelly's DESOLA has some same techniques.
>
> It's great for out-of-main CPU code geenration, I use somehtign simialr for
> GPGPU code generation (except with proto as a front end).
> For regular CPU code DSL, not sure the RT overhead is worth it.

<snip>
> Oh and you don't get Compile-timle intrsopection, only runtime.

If you have to do heavy-weight things like optimizing the generated
AST, you got to anyway do it at runtime. You can still inspect the
code, transform it, etc at runtime. (Note : I am not trying to defend
the runtime "retained" execution model. I am a big fan of Proto. I am
just trying to understand the differences and see where each model
makes sense).

Manjunath