Boost logo

Proto :

Subject: Re: [proto] Phoenix3 at BoostCon? (Fwd: [CfP] 5th Annual BoostCon, Aspen (CO, USA), May 15-20, 2011)
From: Michael Caisse (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-16 15:07:46

  On 10/16/2010 11:42 AM, Eric Niebler wrote:
> On 10/16/2010 7:51 AM, Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
>> Please distribute.
>> ------------------
>>
>> 5TH ANNUAL BOOST CONFERENCE 2011
>> Aspen CO, USA, May 15 - 20, 2011, www.boostcon.com
>>
>> CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
> <snip>
>
> IMO, Phoenix3 is one of the most important Boost development over the
> past year. There should unquestionably be a presentation at BoostCon
> about it. I think I'll go, and would at the very least like to help. Is
> anybody else going, and are they interested in collaborating?
>
> There is obviously lots to talk about. Choosing a direction would be
> tough, but I think it should focus the things that are new in v3 over
> v2. I think an end-user-centric talk would be more valuable than a talk
> about implementation details (despite how much fun it would be to give
> such a talk). So I'm thinking about a talk on AST manipulation a-la
> Scheme macros. There is evidence that there is already excitement about
> this topic.[*] Thoughts?
>
> [*] http://cplusplus-soup.com/2010/07/23/lisp-macro-capability-in-c/

I'll be in the front row!

I agree that a user-centric talk makes the most sense; however, if you
are able to get multiple slots then a second talk about the wizardry
would be wonderful. More precisely, talking about the design choices
made and the implementation techniques utilized would be a an excellent
segment for those who aspire to be more than users and wanting to expand
their understanding and skills.

I was petitioning (for selfish purposes) last year for a session that
looked under the hood of a library and discussed the design,
implementation and tricks of the trade. Alas, I was unable (even with
bribery of homemade chocolate chip cookies and free pizza) to find
someone knowledgeable enough who could pull off the task and willing to
sign up.

Two years back we had a number of "author's corner" sessions which were
wonderful. But at 45-minutes they mostly left me wanting to know more
about some of the implementation details.

Take care -
michael

--
Michael Caisse