Boost logo

Threads-Devel :

From: Roland Schwarz (roland.schwarz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-03 12:04:42

Milutin Jovanovic wrote:
> I am curious, why doesn't the boost::thread library expose the fast mutex (I
> believe boost calls it lightweight)?

AFAIK the upcoming implementation is rather close to what you call
lightweight mutex. Anthony are you listening?

> It would not have the full
> functionality of the mutex, but in many cases that is not required.

Which functionality do you mean? You can't simply change semantics
without harm.

> Implementation wise, in the worst case it would have the same implementation
> as mutex. But on Windows at least it would be faster then named mutexes...

Hmm.. do you have numbers?

> I was curious about atomic operations as well. But they are much more
> contentious. So I'll be happy with your thoughts on fast mutex first.

This indeed is a different issue, which we have decided to deal later
with. First we need to get the rewrite straight.

Regards,
Roland