Boost logo

Threads-Devel :

From: Anthony Williams (anthony_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-03 13:03:48

Roland Schwarz <roland.schwarz_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Milutin Jovanovic wrote:
>> I am curious, why doesn't the boost::thread library expose the fast mutex (I
>> believe boost calls it lightweight)?
>
> AFAIK the upcoming implementation is rather close to what you call
> lightweight mutex. Anthony are you listening?

Yes. The new implementation is as lightweight as I can manage. It does not use
a named (or even unnamed) Windows Mutex.

>> I was curious about atomic operations as well. But they are much more
>> contentious. So I'll be happy with your thoughts on fast mutex first.
>
> This indeed is a different issue, which we have decided to deal later
> with. First we need to get the rewrite straight.

Agreed. Though we all have lots of ideas as to where we can extend the boost
thread library, the first priority is to get a full replacement implementation
under the BSL that can replace the current HEAD version.

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams
Software Developer