Boost logo

Threads-Devel :

From: Anthony Williams (anthony_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-11 04:56:59

Quoting William R Speirs <bill.speirs_at_[hidden]>:

> I have recently taken an interest in Boost Threads and I'm curious as to
> the status of things. I believe that threads are to be added to the new
> C++ standard, although I don't follow the standards writing. Does that
> mean that the work in the Boost library has stopped?

Not at all. There are things in the boost library not in the standard
(interruption, shared_mutex, for example), and it's going to be a
while before C++0x compilers are common place.

> I also noticed on the Boost website that the ReadWrite lock/mutex stuff
> is broken. Is that still the case?

The read/write mutex has been replaced with boost::shared_mutex which
works fine.

> I think the Boost Threads project is a very, very worthwhile one. People
> are constantly writing their own wrappers around threading to make them
> portable... certainly no need to reinvent the wheel. However, I know I'm
> preaching to the choir.

Thanks for the support.

> Long story short, I'd like to help. What needs to be done? Where can I
> find information about what people are working on?

Thanks for the offer of help. There isn't a list of what needs to be
done anywhere. I'll see if I can think of anything. If you think of
anything yourself, post here, and do it.

I'm working on a new set of docs, since the existing ones are out of
date, and I'm also working on a promise/future/packaged_task set to
match a paper that will be in the next C++ standards mailing.

I've also got a new Windows mutex implementation to check in, and code
for acquiring multiple locks, which needs a proper set of tests.

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams            | Just Software Solutions Ltd
Custom Software Development | http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk