Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] fixed size vector in boost::numeric::ublas?
From: Nasos Iliopoulos (nasos_i_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-23 08:23:23

All,

The fixed array is a good idea and I think this should be considered to be included in ublas. This would allow for small size vectors and matrices to work in near optimal state (i.e. something like defining a struct vec3d {double data[3]};

I also implemented (among other people as I can see) this in the past and it should be somewhere in the list, but if Markus wants to take the task to integrate it into uBlas, I find his implementation sufficient.

A nice exercise (although I don't know if this is efficient anymore given the cpus and compilers we have), is to implement some basic loop unrolling algorithms through template metaprogramming to achieve some faster basic operations, like tvmet does. This would need some further study, because the compilers can nowadays unroll the loops when they detect const arguments and therefore getting uBlas to do the unrolling may gain nothing.

Furthermore in order for this addition to be complete, fixed_vector and fixed_matrix classes should be implemented, that would be similar to bounded_vector and bounded_matrix (without the size member variables). IMHO If this is done (and given a few unit tests), the implementation would be at an excellent stage to be included into uBlas.

 If I remember well from my implelentation the major decision that has to be made relates to the resize(..) member function. Since the fixed types cannot resize it would seem obvious that those functions should not be implemented at all, but I think uBlas is using it in some algorithms, so either the algorithms need to be specialized, or the the fixed type resize function needs to be implements as an empty function. I think the first option is the best.

Nice work Markus and I hope this will make it in soon!

Best
Nasos