Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] [BLAS bindings] help appreciated on using trmv and gbmv
From: Florent Teichteil (florent.teichteil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-07 16:30:33

> Hello Florent,
>
> thanks for all the testing! I would like to try your test cases, hunt down
> potential bugs, and, if you agree, include the test cases in the testing
> part of the bindings. Could you please provide your code as an attachment?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Rutger

Hi Rutger,

Thanks for your interest. You'll find my tests in the attached file
test.cc as well as the output file testoutput.txt which I get when
running it. I'm using Ubuntu with ATLAS backend.

I would stress that there is in my opinion no other library like ublas
and its bindings around there, that handles so many matrix formats and
matrix storage options, and that we can bind to cblas compliant
libraries and others. It's really a great job. The problem is that I'm
using it in a large production code, so that I must say that I thought
to move to another library (eigen for instance), but in fact they
aren't much libraries like ublas that handle packed matrix formats
like triangular_matrix and banded_matrix. For my needs, I dream that I
could use proxies of triangular and banded (packed) matrices in
conjunction with the blas bindings, but it seems that it is not
possible for some technical reasons (I am not sure to understand why,
because netlib's blas or atlas also handle packed triangular and
banded matrices...).

OK, but for the moment, it would be wonderful if binding functions
like trmv and gbmv work properly with dense matrices and triangular
and banded adaptors. (Perhaps they work properly, but I'm misusing
them, see my attached test files).

Cheers
Florent