Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] GSOC 2013
From: sguazt (marco.guazzone_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-23 09:42:22

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM, David Bellot <david.bellot_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I proposed a Google Summer of Code project for uBLAS.
> It's based on the wish list that has been done some time ago a long time
> ago.
>
> The main idea is to refactor vector into matrix to have only one internal
> and external representation, one set of algorithm. As a convenience, the
> class vector<> will still exist and will, for example, be by default a
> row-vector (like a simple C-array would be). Or a column-vector if we
> prefer but I think matlab is row-oriented by default (and I hate R which
> is column oriented, even if I use it every single day at work !!! :-D :-D
> ah ah ah ah ! Let the flame war begin).
>
> OK, the idea behind this is to have a clean framework to enable
> optimization based on SSE, Neon, multi-core, ... you name it.
> I'm sure the student who will work on that will take inspiration from boos
> t::bindings, Eigen, Armadillo, etc...
> The project is very open, so suggestions are most welcome.

Hello,

Thank you David.

Good to know that uBLAS is still alive :)

What I like to have in uBLAS is a richer math library like we have in
MATLAB/Octave.
I've already begun a similar project some time ago, to use in some research
project.
It uses the wonderful boost-numeric_bindings libs to interface with LAPACK.

Unfortunately I have too few time to maintain it and to provide
boost-quality code.
Anyway, if someone or some GSOC student wants to contribute, the code is
available on GitHub:

https://github.com/sguazt/boost-ublasx

Best,

-- Marco