Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Numeric bindings repository
From: Karl Meerbergen (karl.meerbergen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-04-08 08:48:31

Hi,

I'd prefer to keep the bindings as a separate project since it is also
used/can be used by other packages. At some point, there was a
discussion about MTL4 also using the bindings, but I guess noone
specialized the traits classes for MTL4. Anyway, the bindings were not
meant to be part of a single library but to bridge libraries with
existing numerical libraries in an easy way. I never liked the idea to
put the traits class specializations for ublas in the bindings
themselves. They should be part of ublas.

My opinion is that there are too many different C++ libraries, which
makes it impossible for developers to provide standard software that can
be used by everyone. For example, how easy is it for an application
engineer who uses ublas to use software written using MTL4 and vice
versa? In my opinion, the variety of packages is contraproductive and
scares people away from using C++. This is another reason for not
merging the bindings in a single library.

Best,

Karl