From: Darryl Green (green_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-14 06:04:19

Yes, though even embedded systems have caches these days (actually, given
the "nearly 10 years", they probably always have for you? :-). I was also
thinking of trying to make life easier for a multi-processor scheduler
trying to manage processor affinity. I suspect the thread pool concept tends
to be more useful in larger "general purpose" systems anyway (vs. embedded
RTOS envoronments) because threads tend to be heavier and the task-set on
the system is more dynamic. Conversely, the embedded RTOS
environments/real-time systems tend to involve knowing just what the set of
concurrent tasks is and dimensioning things accurately (or more likely
pesimistically) so as to meet its deadlines rather than trying to make the
software adaptive to its execution environment in order to (try to) maximise
performance but without hard deadlines.