From: brock (brock.peabody_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-03 19:31:46

Personally I would much rather start from scratch. I want something that is
boost from the ground up, not a project that has a code so old it supports
MSVC 4.0. Who knows if the folks at wxWindows or elsewhere have the same
goals as boost. Don't they have an open source license? Developing a GUI
library from the ground up will be hard, but worthwhile. Developing a GUI
applications is also hard. Having a library with an interface that
leverages the advantages of modern C++ saves me a lot more time than what I
spent making the library. From what I've seen of the interface to
wxWindows, I don't think I'd be gaining much over MFC.

Anyway, I do have a library whose interface (if not yet implementation) is
platform independent. I haven't gotten any feedback about whether anyone
likes the library itself, or the syntax I've been proposing, something like:

   gui_manager<employee> app = row( "name", edit(&employee::ssn));

   app.set_data(get_employee());

It is in the files section with the name boost_gui.zip. If someone would at
least tell me that my ideas stink I would feel better :) As soon as I get
everything upgraded to VC 7 I'm going to rewrite it with the idea of
submitting it to boost for a review. I've never written a GUI for another
platform but if no one wants to colaborate I'll do that too. Any
suggestions? Developing this will be work, but it is not rocket science.