From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-02 08:40:00

John Maddock wrote:
>> Hmmm, I hadn't realized John was going to change it (we went to all
>> the trouble of checking for the environment variable just so we COULD
>> keep the original path)
>>
>> John, I think looking in the registry is a BAD idea... the Environment
>> variables are readily visible to users, the registry is NOT
>
> However if a particular toolset readily identifies itself in the
> registry, that seems to be a lot more reliable than messing with
> environment variables that the user has to type in every time they want
> to use Boost.

And less documentation that they have to read and apply. If it "just
works" without setting any ENV variables the more likely people are to
use it.

> BTW the Metrowerks jam-toolset already works this apparently.

Yes it does. And it's working out very well, and without complaints.
Something people should remember is that using the registry doesn't
preclude using the ENV vars. The CW toolset still allows overriding the
toolset location the "old fashioned" way.

--grafik