From: Victor A. Wagner Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-02 11:28:12

At Saturday 2004-10-02 06:40, you wrote:
>John Maddock wrote:
>>>Hmmm, I hadn't realized John was going to change it (we went to all the
>>>trouble of checking for the environment variable just so we COULD keep
>>>the original path)
>>>
>>>John, I think looking in the registry is a BAD idea... the Environment
>>>variables are readily visible to users, the registry is NOT
>>However if a particular toolset readily identifies itself in the
>>registry, that seems to be a lot more reliable than messing with
>>environment variables that the user has to type in every time they want
>>to use Boost.
>
>And less documentation that they have to read and apply. If it "just
>works" without setting any ENV variables the more likely people are to use it.

damnit!!!! read what I type, not what you THINK I typed
I said it was easier for the user to SEE

AND there should have been nothing wrong with the vc8.0-tools.jam that was
already IN the repository.

Unfortunately, I'm off for 4 days to visit w/ daughter in from Scotland and
you guys will go off and do what you want, and I won't be here to
rebut....have fun

NOBODY HAS EXPLAINED WHY THERE WAS A PROBLEM IN THE 1ST PLACE!!!!!!!!

>>BTW the Metrowerks jam-toolset already works this apparently.
>
>Yes it does. And it's working out very well, and without complaints.
>Something people should remember is that using the registry doesn't
>preclude using the ENV vars. The CW toolset still allows overriding the
>toolset location the "old fashioned" way.

and I NEVER suggested overriding any how. It is my FIRM opinion that the
person who originally complained about this hadn't updated his/her toolset
(and they've been strangely silent ever since _I_ posted what was IN the
repository at the time they complained.

Yes I'm angry
hope to return very late Tuesday (MST (AZ time)