From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-22 14:28:43

Robert Ramey wrote:
> I saw this and that's what I was referring to. But I'm not sure
> whether or not it does it.
>
> Here is another case from the serialization library.
>
> Some compilers don't support wide characters and I would to
> detect this automatically rather than chasing down all the tool sets
> on a continuing basis.
>
> So the first thought would be to create test in config like:
>
> test_wide_char_support which would fail if the proper define
> isn't set.
>
> then the tests which would depend on such support would
> be invoked conditionally upon the SUCCESSFUL
> completion of test_wide_char support. This is analogous
> to the makefile behavior in that a program isn't linked if
> compilation of any one of its components fails. (I realise
> that the true dependency is on the existence of an updated
> *.o file - but the result is the same.
>
> As I read the link below - it doesn't seem to help here.

Yep, the docs didn't seem all that clear to me :-(

BTW the wide character test already exists, all the Boost.Config tests have
individual tests in libs/config/test as well as the consolidated tests used
in the reports. Take a look at the libs/config/configure script to see how
these are used in this context.

So... maybe just try it and see? Or else nag Vladimir :-)

John.