From: me22 (me22.ca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-11 10:43:47

On 4/11/07, John Phillips <phillips_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I'm happy to report that the quantitative units library developed by
> Matthias Schabel and Steven Watanabe has been accepted for inclusion in
> boost.
>
> [...]
>
> That's the whole thing.
> Thanks to anyone who lasted this long, and thanks once again to the
> authors.

Wow. Long summary is an understatement.

Excellent, comprehensive work, John.

On 4/11/07, Thorsten Ottosen <thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> However, I would like to know what the main difference between this
> submission and the one previously rejected.
>
> Has the reasons for rejecting the first library been solved in the new
> submission? Furthermore, what are the main differences between the two
> submission?

PQS Review Result: http://lists.boost.org/boost-announce/2006/06/0096.php

My recollection is that the reviews were much more a mixed bag for
PQS. PQS put extensive work into text representation, with which many
people were not happy, resulting in it being excluded from the scope
of this library. It's a goal of this library to allow the user to add
unit systems without too much trouble, which allows heterogeneous
units such as the km / (s * Mpc) example in the summary, while PQS was
based on a fixed set of representation units.

- Scott McMurray

P.S. Apologies to Andy Little if I'm incorrectly remembering PQS.