From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-01 11:50:26

Jeff Garland wrote:
> Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>> Doug Gregor wrote:
>>
>>> Most of the work is done. When we're ready to switch (and *after*
>>> 1.34.0 is out the door), we'll ask for a 24-hour window to make sure
>>> we have enough time for the cvs2svn conversion and import (roughly 8
>>> hours of crunching), and to deal with any issues that might crop up.
>> That's excellent news ! So it seems holding the switch off for another
>> release isn't even on the table. I guess if everything can be straightened
>> out within a matter of days there won't be any need to keep the old CVS
>> repository around, either.
>
> Sorry, it's not going to happen that fast....see my reply to Doug. We're
> going to need volunteers to update regression scripts, run tests, and write
> procedures. We shouldn't try to switch all the regression testers in a big
> bang -- we need to get a few volunteers to work with whoever modifies the
> scripts and to help work out issues.

But, independent on how many people need to change their habit, the only
thing they actually need to change is a single command:
s/cvs co .... /svn co ...../ (with appropriate URLs).

I agree that docs for that part of the 'procedure' may be spread over lots
of places, and that they all need fixing. But let's not stare at the problem
like a deer into the light of an approaching car.

(And yes, if there is a list of items to be fixed, I'd happily volunteer.)

Regards,
                Stefan