From: Douglas Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-01 07:02:41

On Aug 1, 2007, at 12:02 AM, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> What are the next steps ? If I understand correctly, the 1_34_0 branch
> should now be copied to, say, 'stable', such that in regular intervals
> things can be merged in from the trunk. Am I reading the suggested
> procedure correctly ? (And then, at some point, 'stable' can be
> branched
> to '1_35', etc....)

That is my understanding, although IIRC, the last discussion ended up
with, "We can finalize the new procedure later, once we have moved to
Subversion." Personally, I'd like to see us find a good way to turn
"stable" into an actual release branch of "trunk", with the
appropriate svmerge.py tags to make it easy to keep it up-to-date.
The trunk/stable divergence is really bad for future development.

> Also, what branches are the tests being run on, and triggered by what
> event ? I'd expect some testing on trunk, and some on stable (though
> at least the latter not nightly, since check-ins should occur less
> frequently. Correct ?

Until someone gets regression.py updated to work with Subversion, no
tests are run. My understanding of the new testing scheme is that
most of the testing will go on the trunk, but that we'll also
periodically test the stable branch (less frequently). No triggers; I
expect perhaps 2 days of the week will test stable, the rest testing
trunk. Or, for those with the resources, test both nightly.

        - Doug