From: Nicola Musatti (Nicola.Musatti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-10 08:55:22

Daniel Wallin <daniel <at> boost-consulting.com> writes:

> John Maddock wrote:
> > Daniel Wallin wrote:
> >> The standard practice with subversion is to `svn delete` old branches
> >> once they have been merged. This keeps the branch directory nice and
> >> clean (and frees up the branch name for future use). Does anyone have
> >> any objections to deleting all old branches?
> >
> > I wish someone would actually
> >
> > The branches directory is simply huge currently!
>
> OK, I just removed all branches that hasn't been touched in 2 years:
>
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/38550
>
> We could probably remove more branches, but 2 years seemed like a safe
> cutoff.

I'm not convinced this is such a good idea. Some of the deleted branches don't
seem to have much use nowadays, but some might; I'm thinking of the old RC and
the SPIRIT_MINIBOOST ones.

At the very least I would have waited a few months before proceding, or maybe
just moved branches to old_branches.

The more I have to do with Subversion the more I think that making tags and
branches plain directories was an extremely bad idea.

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti