From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-09 22:09:11

On Dec 10, 2007 10:43 AM, Jeff Garland <jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Dean Michael Berris wrote:
> > Hi Jeff!

> >> Yes, it should have an HTTP library -- it would be nice if there were other
> >> protocols, but not essential.
> >>

> > I have the same feeling, but then other protocols are becoming
> > increasingly more and more important as the web matures -- XMPP is
> > lurking to be the next generation IM/Messaging protocol, (E)SMTP is
> > not going away for Email anytime soon, and FTP is still very popular.
> > Maybe having a torrent client library might not be essential, though
> > if there's enough interest then it may just be the next generation
> > fail-safe P2P storage protocol -- or I might be dreaming too much. ;)
>
> I didn't mean to 'dis' the importance of the other protocols. What I meant to
> say is that if we try to bring an entire suite as one library, in one review,
> it will a) take a long time, and b) be hard to manage. So I'd rather see them
> come as smaller contributions -- perhaps within a shared framework boost::net
> or whatever.

Ah, yes. Now that makes sense to me.

As to doing it by piece meal (HTTP first, then SMTP next perhaps)
maybe we'd get more mileage. :)

> > If Mike already has an HTTP client library we can retro-fit to work
> > with the cpp-netlib basic_message<> implementation, then I think we
> > don't have to re-invent the wheel as far as an HTTP client
> > implementation goes -- and cpp-netlib 1.0 might just be around the
> > corner once we document it properly and get it tested up to Boost
> > standards.
>
> Looks to me like Mike is focused on the server side...so maybe there's not
> much overlap anyway.

Too bad... That doesn't change though, cpp-netlib will be focused on
the client side. Insights from the libpion implementation may help
though, especially with HTTP 1.0/1.1 implementation details.

--
Dean Michael C. Berris
Software Engineer, Friendster, Inc.