From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-18 12:15:59

on Mon Dec 17 2007, "Olaf van der Spek" <olafvdspek-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2007 3:24 AM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> on Sat Dec 15 2007, "Olaf van der Spek" <olafvdspek-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > http://boost.org/more/bugs.htm

>> > IIRC Trac accounts are only for developers. Maybe it's a good idea to
>> > include a Register link anyway and explain this?
>>
>> IS something missing from the new page content?
>> http://beta.boost.org/support/bugs.html
>
> Yes (IMO), the else clause.
>
>> If you have a userid on the Boost Trac server, please log in.

How is the very next item not an else clause?

  "**Even if you don't have a userid**, visit the settings page to
  enter or confirm an email address at which you can be reached. Most
  bug reports require some interaction with the reporter, and if we
  can't follow up with you, chances are good that your efforts at
  reporting the bug will be wasted."

> I'd add that 'userids' are only for developers.

That's not strictly true, but doesn't http://svn.boost.org explain
well enough?

> Otherwise I'd still be looking for a sign up link.

>> > Why aren't reports from Trac forwarded to the mailing lists then?
>>
>> A maintainer of the library against which the bug is being reported
>> will be automatically notified by email.
>
> That's not equivalent.

I know.

> If it's enough, you can drop the 'submitting it
> to either of the mailing lists is a preferred way' bit.
> If it's not enough, you should forward them to the mailing list
> automatically and again drop that bit.

It's been dropped already. http://beta.boost.org/support/bugs.html is
a complete rewrite. Please re-read it with fresh eyes and let me know
if there's really a problem.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting