From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-24 14:10:49

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:

> "Ilya Sokolov" <fal_delivery_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> Ilya Sokolov wrote:
>>> Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>>> I want to seamlessly migrate from static UTF to shared.
>>
>> And that is important for Boost itself, for example:
>>
>> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2006/11/113037.php
>>
>> --- quote ---
>> I think the problem here is for Boost tests itself. Now, large number of
>> them does not work with shared linking. So, I'm about to commit
>> Juergen's patch that explicitly makes all Boost test link to static
>> version of Boost.Test
>
> As far as I know Boost is using shared libraries where possible and uses
> static otherwise.

I think the point is that right now, many test Jamfiles explicitly
specify static linking to Boost.Thread. This increases disk space
requirements for running full boost testsuite, and might increase
running time, since linking static library can be slower.

Ideally, shared version of Boost.Test should be used, but given that
shared and static version has slightly different interface, this
actually requires code changes.

- Volodya