From: Sergey Shandar (sergey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-27 09:20:22

Nicola Musatti wrote:
> James Talbut <James.Talbut <at> omg3d.com> writes:
> [...]
>
>> We need to have bugfix releases for released version of boost that do
>> not change anything that is not absolutely necessary to fix bugs.
>> Without this we are going to have to manually patch bugs as fixes come
>> out, which makes a mockery of the whole idea of having boost releases
>> (and makes boost much less appealing as a library).
>>

> How much is your company prepared to pay for this to happen, either by investing
> its employees' time or cash on a consultant to do it?
>
> And while we're at it, how much has your company invested in Boost library
> development since you started using the libraries?
>
> I don't mean to be provocatory, nor to pick on you or your company specifically;
> the same questions could be posed to every company that uses Boost.
>
> I'm convinced that Boost direly needs the continuous presence of someone who's
> paid to devote a good portion of her or his time to help with organization and
> infrastructure. Specifically I think it's unlikely that bug fix releases get
> issued regularly unless someone is paid to handle them.
>
> On a related note, I'd be curious to know how much of what's in Boost is the
> direct result of paid work. Is anybody out there paid specifically to manage
> their company's contribution to Boost?
>
> Cheers,
> Nicola Musatti

In my opinion, if someone found a critical bug in boost and she knows
how to fix it, in most cases, she will be glad to contribute the fix to
the library. The question is how difficult to contribute a bug fix and
make it OFFICIAL (not my local fixed copy) as a new bugfix release, for
example 1.32.100?