From: Nicola Musatti (Nicola.Musatti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-27 10:32:49

Sergey Shandar <sergey <at> comrades.id.au> writes:
[...]
> In my opinion, if someone found a critical bug in boost and she knows
> how to fix it, in most cases, she will be glad to contribute the fix to
> the library. The question is how difficult to contribute a bug fix and
> make it OFFICIAL (not my local fixed copy) as a new bugfix release, for
> example 1.32.100?

There are two steps to this: one is to contribute the code, the other is to
package the release.

The first step is reasonably easy; you can post your patches to this list and
wait for the library maintainer to take a look at it. Some times it may take a
while and one or two additional posts, if the author is busy, but contributions
are usually welcome.

Once you gain one or two maintainers' trust you can apply for Subversion commit
privileges. Afterwards you do the same, with the (explicit) provision that if
your contributions aren't actively acknowledged or rejected in a few days time
you proceed to commit them.

On the other hand packaging a release involves a lot more effort, as can be
evinced from the discussions in this newsgroup about issuing 1.35 .

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti