From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-01 23:04:06

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 12:03 AM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Dean Michael Berris wrote:
>>> I don't think there's anything "coupled" about coordinating foundational
>>> parts so they interoperate properly.
>>>

>> Right, but I was stating this more in terms of dependency
>> between/among components.
>
> I don't think there needs to be such dependency for the most part. You
> can support result_of without including its header.

Ok.

>>> * Too hard to define result<> templates for polymorphic function objects.
>>>

>> Isn't this one of the issues the EGG library is supposed to address?
>
> perhaps. IIRC it was not accepted.

Yeah.

>> [snip]
>>> * Doesn't coordinate with result_of

>>> * Not in Boost. Should have pipe syntax. Maybe should use expression
>>> templates and be lazier.
>>>

>> This is scheduled already for review right?
>
> Perhaps

I guess then this should be one of the important parts that really
need to get in there.

>> Should there be a Boost.Containers library where we distill all the
>> containers implemented in a myriad of libraries? Multi-Index and Bimap
>> come to mind...
>
> Definitely
>
>>> * Ought to support move semantics

>>> * Incompatible placeholders
>>> * Been waiting for the lambda/phoenix merger forever
>>> * Lambda has lots of limitations and gotchas that we can improve on now
>>> * Phoenix 2.0 not in Boost
>>>

>> Is Phoenix 2.0 not in the review queue yet?
>
> I don't know

After reading some of the other emails in the thread, I'd think there
are already some avenues worth exploring as far as getting Phoenix 2/3
is concerned -- which can only mean good things. :D

>>> * Not supported by many foundational Boost types that could benefit
>>> (e.g. shared_ptr)
>>> * No general move semantics library in Boost
>>>

>> Should we borrow the ASL move library implementation?
>
> No need to borrow; Adobe has told us we're welcome to move it into Boost

Nice.

>>> * Needs an update (e.g. "new iterator concepts" have to go -- C++0x
>>> resolves that differently by simply allowing proxies everywhere)
>>> * Several important fixes and features needed
>>>

>> Interesting... Do you have a list of important fixes and features needed?
>
> See Trac.
>
>> Should Boost.Iterator have a 'segmented_iterator' type?
>
> Not exactly, but I suppose any facility for supporting segmented
> iterators should live in the iterator lib, yeah

Ok.

--
Dean Michael C. Berris
Software Engineer, Friendster, Inc.