Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Submodule's readme and logo
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-13 07:45:47

On Friday 13 December 2013 12:23:06 Adam Wulkiewicz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Boost.Geometry we recently added a readme file (currently only in
> develop branch http://github.com/boostorg/geometry/tree/develop) and
> some basic wiki.
>
> From one of the discussions (by Mateusz Loskot):
>
> What I'd suggest is to create README.{md|markdown} file in root
> directory of geometry repo:
> have big heading on top
>
> [LOGO] Boost.Geometry
>
> The readme could also explain briefly what's around,
> what is include folder, what is example, test folder.
> and link to the main documentation and wiki pages.
>
> GitHub has somewhat 'trained' people there always is a README file
> (seehttp://tom.preston-werner.com/2010/08/23/readme-driven-development.html)
> so many users expect to use it as a first contact with a project.
>

> I believe having those files in all submodules would have a positive
> impact on the GitHub community and the users. Furthermore the style of
> those files could be more or less unified. Therefore I've prepared
> semi-consistent set of logos for some of the libraries:
> http://github.com/awulkiew/boost-logos. I decided to achieve the
> consistency by using the Boost logo as a base.
>
> Let me know what do you think about it. And don't hesitate to write
> about your ideas or propose changes.

I've taken a look at some of the logos. I don't quite like the specialized
Boost icons on the left. I'd prefer the common Boost icon to be used without
modifications, its white-blue color scheme looks more stylish to me.

Also, multi-word names of libraries use underscore. Although it's not written
anywhere to my knowledge, such names are typically spelled in one word,
camelcase, without underscores (e.g. Boost.SmartPtr). Here is the discussion
policy:

http://www.boost.org/community/policy.html#lib_names

This may not look very well on the logos though. So it's probably best to
stick with the official Boost logo without library names or no logo at all.